Posted on Friday, May 06, 2016
"Embracing Rail's Future"
DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. PLAZA
SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2016
OPENING CEREMONY AT 9:30 A.M.
TOLEDO, Ohio, May 6, 2016 – Toledo’s Amtrak Station will host the ninth annual National Train Day Toledo Celebration on Saturday, May 7, 2016 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Plaza located at 415 Emerald Ave. in downtown Toledo. The free event will serve to raise awareness of the vital roles passenger and freight rail play in our nation’s transportation system. The Toledo event is sponsored by Amtrak, All Aboard Ohio, Norfolk Southern, the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority, TMACOG, Northwest Ohio Passenger Rail Association and many others including freight railroads, businesses, unions and community organizations.
9:30 – 10 a.m. Opening Ceremony (Children’s Park, near 3rd floor entrance)
- Paula Hicks-Hudson, Mayor, City of Toledo
- Jimmie Lytle, City Manager, Cleveland Terminal, Greyhound
- Derrick James, Senior Director, Government Affairs, Amtrak
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Open House
- All day:
- Tour Amtrak Viewliner Train “Lake Shore Limited”
- View Norfolk Southern’s famed locomotive #9-1-1 honoring “First Responders”’
- Take a ride on a speeder rail car
- Train rides for children
- Taylor Trolley Rail History Tour
- Free prize drawings
- View displays & model trains
- 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Fun and educational events
- 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m.: Meet Engineer Steve – Rail Safety for Kids (2nd floor)
- Free parking at the Port Lawrence Parking Garage on the corner of Jefferson & St. Clair
- Free shuttle service will transport attendees to and from the event and parking garage
The mission of the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority is to develop expertise and assets that drive and grow the region’s transportation and logistics infrastructure and its economic prosperity for all.
www.toledoport.org – 419.243.8251